Thursday, November 27, 2008

State Of Emergency At Bangkok Airports As Rumours Of Coup Abound

People power in Thailand ain't gonna do the country any good. But something just has to be said and done for the long-term good of the country.

That people power is deceptive because the real power in Thailand lies in the military.

These protests are just being allowed because the military is allowing it to a point when it has the government on its knees.

Already there are rumours of a coup.

Just read The New York Times that a a state of emergency has been declared at Bangkok’s two commercial airports today.

Thai Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat against whom the protest is made, instructed police to deal with protesters occupying the facilities, Thai media reported.

Of course the people are protesting, Somchai is ousted leader Thaksin Shinawatra's brother-in-law.

Read the story here.

And on the coup, here

4 comments:

NURAINA A SAMAD said...

hey Eva,

did you go to the Bloggers Bash at the curve?

Tok Mommy and I left early....we were so dying to see you.

eva's haven said...

nuraina.

i couldnt make it. i was stuck in KL.

I should've got your cellphone number...so i could tell you.

wanted to see Kerp as well. Wanted to thank madsalo for extending the invite to me thru you and rocky.

next time when i have time.

Kerp (Ph.D) said...

like Kak Ena, i was so looking forward to meet up with you. and i'm sure most of us too. oh well, perhaps there's always another do. and i will personally make sure your presence is compulsory the next time out.

eva's haven said...

kerp,

my apologies..

i'm in Malaysia for a short holiday. I've been in touch with Tok Mommy AKA Kak Maria through email and then nuraina.

nuraina told me about the Bloggers' Bash at the Curve. Madsalo invited her and Kak Maria and they told me that i should come. I thought that's really cool.
But as you can imagine, with so little time at hand, and with so many things to do, i found myself rushing from one end of the Klang valley to the other. Saturday was such a day. I was sure I could make it to the Curve. I had someone drive me around.
I got Tok Mommy and Nuraina to swear to secrecy...but it turned out that i was the one who couldn't hide my excitement and leaked it to you.

I was looking forward to meeting all the famous bloggers. I was also looking forward to the mee rebus sessions but Tok Mommy told me she would not be able to hold any because her beloved hubby is not well. :-(

...I hope for another time!

meanwhile, take care!