Tuesday, June 5, 2007

The Holocaust


Do you know that I never watch any movie on the Holocaust?
Not even "Schindler's List".
Don't misunderstand. I know very well what the holocaust is all about.
I have read and seen black&white photographs of Jews being taken to be tortured and put to death.
I can never forget those pictures.
My father had and still has a vast collection of books. Among them were books on the holocaust.
I had always been an avid reader, and I must have been about eight years old that I found the books on the shelf of my father's library.
I still remember naked girls and women with their head shaven running away from soldiers armed with machine guns, shooting them down.
Their faces were no longer terrified. They were blank. They were like skeletons.
I wept and wept.
There were other pictures as well, of children, of babies.
There were people being burnt in ovens.
I have read Anne Frank diary when I was nine, I think.
That is why I never watch movies about the holocaust. They bring back painful memories. It is as though I have lived those memories.

And now, there is another diary of 14-year-old Jewish girl dubbed the "Polish Anne Frank".
It was unveiled yesterday (Monday, June 4 2007).
Rutka Laskier chronicled the horrors she witnessed in a Jewish ghetto — at one point watching a Nazi soldier tear a Jewish baby away from his mother and kill him with his bare hands.

I shan't read her diary. But her story is here.

8 comments:

zorro said...

Are the Israeli's getting their pound of flesh by the way they are treating Palestinians. Arafat resorted to terrorism becasue nobody wanted to listen to the Palestinians. If you corner a rat, the rat may even attack you. I am a Catholic.But religion is the cause of all our fiasco in this world.

eva's haven said...

Mr Zorro, sir,

You are right.
Religion is the saviour for some, but is the one the kills for others.
How terrible is that?

Anonymous said...

i know it is something that we can never forget.

J.T. said...

The story of the Holocaust is not pleasant. I have read the book "Auschwitz" - very sad. Seen movies on the holocaust. I visited Dachau POW camp. Very sad indeed to know how many people suffered and died under the Nazi ruling.

Thanks for the link to the Polish Anne Frank story. I will read it soon.
Appreciate your dropping by my blog.

Bergen said...

It's gonna happen again. The world is full of hatred that it's gonna blow up into something similar, or more horrendous that the holocaust.

History is gonna repeat itself if we keep going the way we do now i.e harboring grudges instead of forgiving.

eva's haven said...

Hi Jacqui,

nice of you to visit and leave a comment.
The holocaust showed the extent of human hatred, evil, brutality and sadism.
There are enough evil people out there to pull us back to the world's horrific past but I have enough hope in humanity that as many good people will prevent that.

Bergen: If there are enough people like you and mr zorro, Jacqui and many others I know, then there is hope.....
Thanks for visiting, brother.

Lee said...

Hi Eva, saw your 'Haven' at JT's. Nice blog you have.
Nope, I too avoid reading those books even though I love books on biographies, some history. But I did see Shindler's List....felt sad for days at how men can treat other men or people.
You have a nice day, Eva. UL.

eva's haven said...

Hi U.Lee,

thanks for visiting.
I know... is world peace and impossibility?
I am no longer the naive and idealistic young woman -- so,yes. for the next 20 years, it is. Because there is just so much greed in this world.

I will be visiting you soonest.